Total Pageviews

Friday, July 15, 2011

A Godly Woman

What does a Godly woman look like? Who is she? Is she modern or old fashioned? Is she real and if so how can I be like her? Legitimate questions that all women who seek after the heart of God should be asking. These are questions that our young ladies should be asking themselves as they desire and seek to become women after God's own heart.

Proverbs 31:10 tells us that, “A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls” (AMP). The God' s Word translation of the Bible describes this same woman as having a strong character. A Godly woman is a woman of worth, substance, slow to anger and speak, quick to forgive.

A Godly woman's character speaks for itself. People know her by her character or virtue. The book of Ruth talks about this. Boaz addresses Ruth in chapter 3 verse 10 - 11 with this. “And he said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich. And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman” (KJV).

The entire town knew Ruth by her actions as being a virtuous woman. Can the world say the same about us?

I believe a Godly women is modest in all she does. She clothes and conducts herself in a manner that is pleasing to the Lord. I believe a Godly woman is a modest woman worthy of the title “Lady”.

My friend, Carmen Bruno posted this list of characteristic of a Godly woman on her blog written by a young man named Luke Otterstad in response to his roomates' questions about what a Godly woman looked like:

1. She handles herself gracefully (Proverbs 11:16)
2. She loves and embraces children (Psalm 113:9, Titus 2:4)
3. She speaks with wisdom (Proverbs 31:26)
4. She has discretion (Proverbs 11:22)
5. She is able to be fully trusted by her husband (Proverbs 31:11)
6. She desires to be her husband’s most faithful companion and closest confidant (Malachi 2:14)
7. She joyfully embraces being a woman and abhors feminism (Psalm 113:9, Romans 12:9)
8. She can manage her home well (Proverbs 31:27, Titus 2:5, 1 Tim 5:14)
9. She is diligent to accomplish anything entrusted to her care (Proverbs 31:13, 1 Tim 5:10)
10. She is firm in her convictions and desires to teach younger women the virtues of godly
womanhood through her example and instruction. (Titus 2:4)
11. She desires for, and encourages men to be leaders in their families, churches and society. (Isaiah 3:12, Eph. 5:23, Titus 1:5-6)
12. She desires to build up and strengthen her home (Proverbs 14:1)
13. She desires to raise and train the next president, not BE the next president (Proverbs 31:1, Isaiah 3:12)
14. She believes children are a blessing from God, not a burden (Deut. 7:14, 33:24, 127:3)
15. She has a humble spirit (1 Peter 3:4)
16. She looks up to, follows, and respects her husband as the leader of the home (1 Cor. 14:35, Eph. 5:33)
17. She has a quiet spirit, and influences others through godly conduct (1 Peter 3:1-2, 4, 1 Tim. 2:12)
18. She desires to be a mother of nations, not a leader of nations (Genesis 24:60)
19. She has a heart to open her home to hospitality and service to others (1 Tim. 5:10)
20. She cares for the saints (1 Tim. 5:10)
21. She is capable and skilled to clothe her family and decorate her home (Prov. 31:21-22)
22. She desires to model the examples of holy women in Scripture (1 Peter 3:5)
23. She has skills to prepare meals for her family and bless others through hospitality (Prov. 31:15)
24. She is able to teach her children with practical, life instruction (Proverbs 31:1, 26, 6:20)
25. She desires to please her husband and do him good all his life (Prov. 31:12, 1 Cor. 7:34)
26. She is able to manage a business from her home (Prov. 31:18)
27. She can be trusted with wise discretion in spending (Prov. 31:16)
28. She cares for the poor and the needy (Prov. 31:20)
29. She clothes herself in modesty and good works and does not desire to attract or distract men’s eyes (1 Peter 3:3-4, 1 Tim. 2:9-10)
30. She has a kind and helpful attitude (Prov. 31:26-27)
31. She is prudent: intelligent, productive, skillful, wise and has understanding (Prov. 19:14)

A woman such as this is priceless: her value is far above rubies. Her husband will exalt her, praise her, love her, give up his life for her, and her children will call her blessed. The man that finds such a woman, is truly undeserving of such an honor, as God has bestowed upon him a blessing only few will find.

As I pondered Otterstad’s list, I wondered what quality I displayed to all of those around me. Is my Godly character evident in my actions, by mannerisms, the way I conduct myself, the way I dress?  I find myself wondering if I measure up and if I ever would.  I know there are areas in my live the are in dire need of improvement, but I am moving forward longing to be a woman after God’s own heart. I pray that each of us, young and old, will ponder this list and take a personal inventory of ourselves.  We must reflect God’s love and character to the world around us if we are to reach them for the Kingdom of God.

List taken from Carmen Bruno's blog Pebble Crossing .

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent post. I too am going to spend some time looking over this list. Thank you for sharing.

    Thank you for following me and I am following you back! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete